05/08/2020 – Full Time
Director of Nursing
The Director of Nursing, Abbot Close Care Centre, Askeaton reports directly to the two proprietors.
The following staff report directly to the Director of Nursing:
- Assistant Director of Nursing
- Occupational Therapist
- Health Care Assistants
- Activities Coordinator
- Clerical Staff
- Domestic/Kitchen Staff
- Maintenance Staff
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the provision of a high standard of care and service to the resident and families in Abbot Close Care Centre is consistent with the mission, vision and values of Abbot Close Care Centre.
- Ensure that standards are compliant with HIQA national standards to the highest possible degree.
- Demonstrate behaviour consistent with the values of Abbot Close Care Centre.
- Promote and deliver holistic, person centred quality care
- Encourage recognition of the resident as an individual; ensuring residents’ needs and comfort are given priority.
- Oversee the delivery of resident care together with all members of the multidisciplinary teams.
- Oversee the delivery of services with all members of the multidisciplinary teams.
- Communicate with relevant teams regarding ongoing Abbot Close Care Centre operations.
- Communicates with residents, relatives and visitors on an on-going basis.
- Attend / chair meetings as required and keep staff briefed on developments in Abbot Close Care Centre.
- Be aware of the confidential nature of the work and in particular, the right of residents to confidentiality. To this end you will not discuss workings of Abbot Close Care Centre or its residents with people outside Abbot Close Care Centre.
- Undertake the role and responsibilities of the Person-in-Charge in line with the Health Act 2007, related regulations and the Health information and Quality Authority (HIQA) standards.
- Oversee the organisation and management of Abbot Close Care Centre
- Oversee the operations and the management team
- Oversee and co-ordinate the quality and safety system including all aspects of risk management and resident involvement
- Oversee financial expenditure and value for money
- Endeavour to keep abreast of recent trends and developments.
- Be responsible for the recruitment, development and supervision of staff.
- Facilitate the arrangements necessary and participate where appropriate, in education and training of other staff as the need arises
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures
- Liaise with external organisations in order to promote and maintain good working relationships and high standards of nursing and service for residents
- Have in-depth knowledge of each resident, recognise early warning signs and be able to initiate early interventions and preventative care to ensure optimum quality of life for the resident.
- Ensure that all care plans are complete, up to date, person centred and reflect individual resident status.
- Ensure that all residents have 3 monthly reviews done on time with consultation to include the resident and/or next of kin in addition to the GP and multidisciplinary team.
- Ensure all accidents, incidents and complaints are documented and followed through to a satisfactory completion and that next of kin are informed of all accidents, incidents and complaints with permission of the resident. Ensure that the GP is informed of all accidents and incidents.
- Ensure all medication practise is compliant with An Bord Altranais, Irish Medical Board and HIQA guidelines.
- Lead, by example, a professional, punctual and dedicated team.
- Create and promote open communications, healthy working relationships, and stimulate initiative among the team
- Motivate team members, by agreeing goals and objectives, through performance review
- Be aware of the confidential nature of the work and in particular, the right of residents to confidentiality. To this end you will not discuss workings of Windmill Nursing Home or its residents with people outside Abbot Close Care Centre
- The foregoing should not be considered exhaustive
- A registered General Nurse on the Register of Nurses held by An Board Altranais
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Management Qualifications
- Post graduate diploma in gerontology
- Gerontology Experience
- IT Skills
- Minimum three years post graduate experience with a minimum of two years experience in Care of the Older Person at CNM level
- Have an in-depth knowledge of the ageing process
Essential skills, competencies and/or professional knowledge
- Demonstrate sound knowledge and clinical nursing practice together with future trends in Care of Older Persons
- Shows evidence of current legislative policies pertinent to Care of the Older Persons
- Knowledge of organisation of health services and trends nationally and internationally
- Ability to source both theoretical and technical information
- Act as a good role model
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Teaching skills
- Has the ability to manage change
- High Basic Salary
- Excellent Bonus Scheme
- Company Laptop and Phone
- Pension Contribution Scheme
- 5 weeks Annual Leave
- Expense Account
- Financial Support for Further Education
Apply for this position
If you would like to apply for this position please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (022-34693) for more information.